If you haven't gathered this already, I love playing around with waffles. I especially love making out of the box, savory waffles. I was going through my fridge this week, and the broccoli and cheddar combo just popped. It's such a good combo in and of itself, so why not try it out in waffle form?
So that's what I did, and it did not disappoint! Dare I say that it might be my favorite savory waffle combo yet? I know that's a bold statement, but you should try it out for yourself and let me know where it stacks up for you!
Here's What You'll Need:
-1 cup quinoa flour (or the flour of your choosing)
-1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
-1/2 cup water
-1 cup broccoli florets
-1/4 cup shredded organic cheddar
-1 tsp baking powder
-1 tsp ghee (original or garlic), melted
-Pinch of sea salt
Makes 2 waffles
1) Heat your waffle maker according to its instructions.
2) Steam the broccoli florets on the stove top or in the microwave until cooked or just under cooked. I placed mine in a microwave safe bowl with a little water, topped with an offset plate to allow steam out, and microwaved the bowl for about 90 seconds. Strain the broccoli.
3) In a large bowl, mix together the quinoa flour, baking powder, water, almond milk, egg, salt, and ghee.
4) Add in the broccoli florets and cheddar, and mix to evenly distribute.
5) Spray or coat your waffle maker with the cooking oil of your choosing. I used a little bit of melted ghee.
6) Pour half of the mixture into the waffle maker, spread the broccoli and cheddar evenly through out.
7) Cook according to waffle maker instructions.
8) Repeat with second half of batter.
9) Serve, top with desired toppings, and enjoy!
Savory waffles are a bit harder to top, and to be honest, this waffle tastes great on its own. I topped mine with a runny egg which I would highly recommend, or adding a little extra melted ghee would be a great option!
If you don't have or aren't familiar with ghee, you can use coconut oil or grass fed butter. But I would definitely recommend checking ghee out! It has some great health benefits and tastes delicious!
Let me know what you think in the comments below!