If you haven't noticed, broccoli stem noodles are creeping up on my list of favorite spiralized vegetables. They taste like broccoli florets with an added crunchy texture, so basically they're perfect. Plus they go well with pretty much everything I've tried so far.
For some reason when I go to make them, I keep being drawn to a creamy sauce. So I figured, why not a healthier alfredo made with non fat Greek yogurt. Throw in some mushrooms and smoked salmon (or shrimp works just as well if you aren't a fan), and voila! A delicious dinner or lunch!
Here's what you'll need:
-4 broccoli stems, spiralized
-3 cloves of garlic, minced
-1 tbsp and 1 tsp ghee, separated (I use Farm to Gold)
-1/4 cup water
-One 6 oz container of nonfat plain Greek yogurt (I use Wallaby)
-3 tbsp shredded parmesan
-1 tsp dried parsley
-Black pepper to taste
-3 oz smoked salmon
-3 baby Bella mushrooms, chopped
1) In a large pan, heat up the tsp of ghee over medium high heat and add in 1 clove of garlic once it's melted. Let cook for about a minute alone.
2) Add in the spiralized broccoli stems, and let them cook for a good 5-7 minutes alone.
3) In the meantime, add the tbsp of ghee to a saucepan over low to medium heat, and let it melt. Add in the two tbsp of garlic and let cook for about a minute.
4) Add the water to the saucepan and remove from heat.
5) Progressively add in the Greek yogurt, mixing regularly.
6) Progressively add in the parmesan, mixing regularly. If it doesn't melt in because the mixture is no longer hot, you can put it over very low heat.
7) Mix in the parsley and black pepper.
8) Over in the broccoli pan, add in the mushrooms and let them cook down (about 3 minutes).
9) Add in the smoked salmon to the broccoli mixture and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
10) Split the broccoli pan mixture between two bowls, and top each with half of the sauce. Mix together the sauce and veggie-salmon mixture within each bowl.
11) Serve and enjoy!
Let me know what you think in the comments below! I'd love to hear from you.