I feel like potatoes get such a bad rap these days. I don't know if it's because people are scared of carbs or what, but potatoes are actually really nutrient-dense and packed with a number of vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals that not only boost your immune system (and help you from getting sick) but also improve your every day health.
So that being said, I love potatoes. They're just such a good base for, well, everything. Yeah sure, if you eat them fried in oil or covered in pounds of cheese, not so healthy. But I wanted to show you a nutritious and delicious way to get those potatoes back into your life. And what better way than a tasty breakfast bowl?
Here's what you'll need:
-1 large potato, peeled and spiralized
-3 tbsp olive oil, separated
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-1 /4 cup red onion
-1 cup baby arugula
-1/2 cup tomatoes, diced
-3/4 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced
-salt and pepper to taste
1) Heat up 2 tbsp of olive oil over medium high heat. Once the oil is hot, add in the spiralized potato and cook for about 7-10 minutes until cooked through, mixing regularly. Add salt and pepper to taste.
2) In a separate pan, heat up the remaining tbsp of olive oil over medium heat. Once hot, add in the garlic and onion and cook for about 1-2 minutes.
3) Add in the mushroom and arugula, and let them cook down for about 2-3 minutes.
4) Add in the tomato and desired salt and pepper and let cook for an additional minute. Remove from heat.
5) Quickly soft fry two eggs - cook over medium heat while covered until whites are no longer runny.
5) Split the spiralized potato between two bowls. Top each with the veggie mixture and a soft fried egg.
This bowl will seriously make your weekend (or week day) morning, and is nice and easy to throw together. You have to let the yolk run all over the potatoes and other veggies. It is TO DIE FOR. Let me know what you think in the comments below!