Does it get much better than warm pie straight out of the oven with fresh fruit inside and a nice crumble on top? I didn't think so. So when breakfasting (is that a word? Definitely making it one) earlier this week, something in me was just craving the satisfaction that comes only after fresh baked pie. So I figured why not try to bring all of that goodness to my morning oatmeal?
I also saw that I had some blueberry Lifeway kefir on hand, and I thought that would not only add the perfect flavor but really bring a delicious, rich consistency to the oats. And trust me, it does. I warmed up a nice, quick, and easy crumble to add on top, plus some extra blueberries, and a cashew butter drizzle, and we were good to go! It was so comforting and satisfying and the perfect way to get that pie fix early in the morning.
Here's What You'll Need:
For the Oats:
-1.5 cups rolled oats
-8 oz blueberry Lifeway kefir
-1.5 cups water
-1/2 cup frozen blueberries (fresh also works)
-2 tbsp maple syrup
-1/2 tsp vanilla
-1/2 tsp cinnamon
-Pinch of sea salt
1) Mix together the 1.5 cups rolled oats, water, and kefir in a saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium high heat.
2) Once boiling, reduce the heat to low, and add in the remaining oats ingredients.
3) Continue to cook the oats, stirring regularly, until they thicken to your desired consistency (about 5-8 minutes).
4) Remove them from the heat and split between bowls.
5) In the meantime, heat up the remaining 1/4 cup oats in a pain over medium heat to toast them just a bit (2-3 minutes).
6) Add in the coconut butter and cook the two until the coconut butter is fully melted.
7) Add in the remaining crumble ingredients, stirring to combine well. Remove from heat.
8) Split the crumble to top each bowl.
6) Add any extra desired toppings, serve, and enjoy!
As I mentioned earlier, I topped mine with a extra frozen blueberries and cashew butter which I'd highly recommend, but feel free to play around! Let me know what you think in the comments below.