So this recipe came as a bit of a no brainer. I'm a pretty big bagel fan, and if you haven't already caught on, some combination of cream cheese, red onion, and capers is my go to. I either generally switch out smoked salmon or tomatoes depending on how I'm feeling and what I have. I also know that smoked salmon and eggs are DELICIOUS together. So why not make a bagel-inspired frittata/omelet.
I decided to go with smoked salmon, capers, and red onion plus throw in some baby arugula to add in some seasonal greens and give it another flavor profile. The results were just perfect. I topped it all off with some black pepper, and voila! DO NOT ADD SALT. Smoked salmon and capers are both nice and salty, so no need for that extra salt, trust me. I served mine with some avocado toast, and it was the perfect way to get this week in gear.
Here's what you'll need:
-1 egg white
-1 oz smoked salmon, cut into small pieces
-1-2 tbsp red onion, sliced
-1 tsp capers
-1/4 cup baby arugula
-black pepper to taste
1) Heat up a small frying pan over medium to medium high heat and coat with cooking spray or oil of choice (I use coconut oil spray).
2) Whip together the eggs and egg white in a bowl.
3) Pour the egg mixture into the pan so that it coats the whole pan.
4) Add in the smoked salmon, red onion, arugula, and capers spreading each throughout the entire pan.
5) Cover the pan and let cook for about 5-7 minutes or until the eggs are cooked through.
6) Remove from heat and plate or fold in half and plate to serve as an omelet.
7) Top with black pepper, and enjoy!
Let me know what ya think! I love this combination of the fluffy eggs and salty salmon and capers. Plus a little bitterness from the arugula and a bit of sweet from the red onion. It's definitely a winner in my book, and I'd love to hear your take in the comments below.