Fall is without a doubt my favorite season. Not only do I love the cooler weather (minus the past couple of hot and humid days), but this season really embodies my favorite flavors. I've touched on some pretty delicious (if I do say so myself) fall-inspired breakfasts, but what about lunch or dinner?
I decided to take that spiced apple, autumn flavor and turn it into a salad that's perfect for lunch, dinner, or as a side or starter to a meal. I made the one pictured with chicken, but you can easily skip it to make it vegetarian (as well as the blue cheese for a vegan option).
Here's What You'll Need:
-2 cups baby spinach
-1/2 granny smith apple, chopped
-1/2 cup of walnuts, chopped or in pieces
-4 tbsp blue cheese
-4 tsp dried cranberries
-2 tsp sunflower seeds
-2 tsp pumpkin seeds
-pinch of cinnamon (about 1/8 tsp)
-pinch of nutmeg (about 1/8 tsp)
-1 tsp coconut oil
-5 oz chicken, cooked
For the dressing:
-2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
-2 tsp water
-1 tsp honey
-1/8 tsp cinnamon
-very small pinch of nutmeg (about 1/16 tsp)
1) In a pan, heat the coconut oil until melted, toss in the walnuts, cinnamon, and nutmeg, and heat them for about 3 minutes (tossing regularly).
2) In two bowls, separate the spinach.
3) Top each bowl of spinach with 1/2 of the chopped apple, blue cheese, dried cranberries, sunflower seed, and pumpkin seeds.
4) Split the spiced walnuts, and top each bowl.
5) Top with chicken if desired.
6) Whisk together the dressing ingredients, and top each bowl with half.
Let me know what you think in the comments below, and feel free to subscribe for e-mail updates!