Mexican food is one of my favorites. I love the spice it can bring. I'm also a sucker for cheese and carbs, so I sometimes struggle to make healthier choices when it comes to Mexican food. That's not say Mexican food is automatically unhealthy; it can just be harder to make good choices when cheese and tortilla chips hold the keys to your heart.
I was craving something with a kick, but I wanted to try to combat my unhealthy ways with Mexican food. When I make fajitas or tacos, I love throwing in zucchini, bell pepper, and onion. However, my boyfriend HATES onions, so the onions were out. But I decided that I could turn the remaining two into a base for my dish.
I like to use ground turkey when I make tacos. Unfortunately for me, Whole Foods was behind schedule the day that I went, and there was an hour wait for ground turkey. I decided to try ground chicken, and it ended up turning out great.
Top it all off with some fresh avocado, cheese, and salsa, and we have ourselves a meal!
Here's what you'll need:
-About 1 lb of ground chicken or turkey (the package I used was .91 lbs and was perfect)
-2 zucchinis, spiralized
-1 red bell pepper, spiralized
-8 baby bella mushrooms, sliced
-5 tbsp salsa (I used Muir Glen organic black bean & corn)
-1/4 cup + 3 tsp Mexican blend shredded cheese
-1 tbsp sriracha
-1 tsp Mexican seasoning
-1/4 tsp cilantro
-1/4 tsp Himalayan sea salt
-1/4 tsp ancho chili powder
-1 clove garlic
-1 tbsp olive oil
-1/4 avocado, sliced
1) Heat up a pan, add cooking spray, and toss in the ground chicken. Cook until the chicken is no longer pink, mixing around regularly. This will take about 10 minutes total.
2) Simultaneously, heat up a second, much larger pan. Add in the olive oil and garlic and let cook for about a minute.
3) Add in the spiralized zucchini and bell peppers along with the mushrooms to the second pan. Cook for about 5 minutes, mixing regularly.
4) Add sriracha and cilantro to the meat, and continue mixing for about a minute. Remove from heat.
5) Add 2 tbsp of salsa, Mexican seasoning, ancho chili powder, and sea salt to the vegetable mixture. Mix and let cook for about a minute.
6) Add 1/4 cup of cheese to the vegetable and mix for an additional minute. Remove from heat.
7) Dish out the vegetable mixture into 3 bowls, and top each with ground chicken.
8) Add 1/3 of the avocado slices, 1 tbsp of salsa, and 1 tsp of additional cheese to each bowl.
Feel free to top with some fresh cilantro or plain Greek yogurt for some added flavor. Let me know what you think, and feel free to subscribe below!