I’m not sure if my extreme love for Greek salads is shared everywhere, of if it’s a tri-state area thing. Either way, everyone should try a Greek salad. It is a perfect mix of everything that is delicious. The sweetness from the red onion and tomato mixed with the saltiness of feta and olives, and don’t even get me started on the dressing. They’re just amazing and also versatile. They can easily be made vegetarian of vegan, or you can add in some anchovies or chicken.
I had my first (and favorite) Greek salad at a diner. I still go to this specific diner just for the Greek salad. They’re typically made with lettuce, onion, tomatoes, olives, cucumbers, feta, and sometimes bell peppers and anchovies. I decided to take one of my all-time favorite salads, and give it a little twist using my spiralizer.
Here's what you'll need:
For the chicken:
-8 oz chicken breast, cubed (about 1” cubes)
-1/2 tbsp olive oil
-1 clove garlic, chopped
-1/2 tsp oregano
-dash of salt and pepper
For the salad:
-2 cucumbers, spiralized (I used the 2nd blade for a little bit of a thicker cucumber noodle)
-2/3 large tomato, chopped
-1/8 of a red onion, chopped
-20 pitted Kalamata olives, halved
-6 anchovy filets (optional)
-4 tbsp feta
For the dressing:
-2 tbsp red (or white) wine vinegar
-1 tbsp olive oil
-1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
-1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
-1/4 tsp oregano
-1/4 tsp garlic powder
-salt and pepper to tast
1) Heat up the 1/2 tbsp of olive oil in a pan, and add the clove of garlic. Gook for about a minute, and add the chicken. Cook until the chicken is no longer pink (about 10-12 minutes).
2) Add the 1/2 tsp oregano, salt, and pepper. Cook for an additional minute or two to make sure that the chicken is fully cooked through. Remove from heat.
3) Whisk together all of the dressing ingredients, and set aside.
4) In two bowls, split the cucumber noodles. Top each with half of the onion, tomatoes, olives, and feta. Add anchovies as desired.
5) Top each bowl with half of the chicken.
6) Add desired amount of dressing, and enjoy!
If you are a vegan or a vegetarian, feel free to leave off any meat and/or cheese. It will still be delicious, trust me! Let me know what you think, and please subscribe to e-mail updates for new blog posts below.