Something you probably didn't know about me is that my entire immediate family (except for myself) is a combination of vegetarians and vegans. My mom became vegetarian over a decade ago and switched to veganism within the past 4 or so years. My sister and brother-in-law have also gone between vegetarian and vegan over the past several years. Needless to say I've been surrounded by and had my fair share of vegan meals, and let me tell you, they can be pretty damn good.
Another fun fact about my family is that we love Thai food, specifically Pad Thai. So what would be better than a vegan Pad Thai? How about a healthy vegan Pad Thai made with zucchini noodles.
Here's what you'll need:
For the sauce:
-2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
-6 tbsp Braggs liquid aminos
-juice of one lime
-1/2 cup of creamy peanut butter
-1/2 cup water
-2 tbsp maple syrup
-2 tbsp hoisin
-2 tbsp chili garlic sauce
For the Pad Thai:
-3-4 large zucchinis spiralized (I actually used 5, but they were small)
-1 sliced bell pepper
-1 cup shredded carrots
-8 oz of bean sprouts
-2-3 chopped green onions
-12 oz firm tofu
-1 tbsp coconut oil
-2 tbsp sesame oil
-1 clove garlic
-1/2 cup roasted peanuts
-chopped cilantro to top (about 2 tbsp or as much as you'd like)
1) Cut the tofu into cubes (a little less than 1"), heat up the coconut oil in a pan, and add the tofu. Cook until slightly browned on all sides (~10 minutes).
2) Heat up the sesame oil in a different pan. Add the garlic and let cook for about a minute before adding the zucchini noodles. Let them cook for about 3-5 minutes on their own (tossing every couple of minutes to evenly cook).
3) Add in the red pepper, green onions, and roasted peanuts. Cook for another 2 minutes.
4) In the meantime make your sauce. Add all of the ingredients into a blender and blend for 30 seconds to a minute.
5) Add the carrots and bean sprouts to the Pad Thai pan. Cook for an additional minute.
6) Add in the cooked tofu and blended sauce, remove from heat, and put into a serving dish.
7) Top with chopped cilantro and enjoy!
My family gave it two thumbs up, but let me know what you think!