Cinnamon apple is one of my favorite flavor combinations. It is the epitome of fall, but really I could eat it all year round. And nothing is better than warm cinnamon apple which is why I decided to make some egg white oats - cinnamon apple style.
Here's what you'll need:
-1 cup of rolled oats
-2 1/4 cups unsweetened almond milk (or any milk of your choice)
-2 tbsp maple syrup
-1 tsp of vanilla
-2 tsp cinnamon, separated
-1 tsp brown sugar
-1/2 granny smith apple, sliced
-2 egg whites
-pinch of sea salt
-1/2 tsp coconut oil
-additional toppings as desired
1) Mix together the oats and almond milk and cook over medium high heat until boiling.
2) Turn the oats down to medium low and continue to cook for another 5-7 minutes, mixing regularly.
3) Meanwhile, toss the apple slices in 1 tsp cinnamon and the brown sugar. Heat up the coconut oil in a pan, and throw in the apple slices. Let them cook for about 3-5 minutes.
4) Chop up all but 10 slices of the apples.
5) Add the other tsp of cinnamon, the maple syrup, the chopped apple slices, sea salt, and the vanilla to the oats, and continue to mix regularly.
6) After about another 5-7 minutes (about 1 minute before the oats are done), add in the egg whites and continue to stir regularly.
7) Once the egg whites are completely cooked and the oats look about done, remove them from the heat, and serve in two bowls.
8) Top each bowl with 5 apple slices and any additional toppings as desired, and enjoy!
I topped mine with some chopped walnuts, chia seeds, and Essentially Coconut's Sweet Almond Coconut Butter. I highly recommend the combination!
Let me know what you think in the comments below, and feel free to subscribe for e-mail updates!