The idea for this salad came from the idea of transitioning from summer to fall. It combines some ingredients I personally relate a little more to summer (i.e. asparagus and cherries) and pulls them together with some fall flavors.
As I was making this, I started to question myself. Do this really work together? But at the end of it all, I was definitely happy with the final result. Not only does it look good, but it blends sweet, salty, savory and of course summer and fall really well.
Here's what you'll need:
-4 cups baby arugula
-12 spears of cooked asparagus, cut into fourths (I baked mine at 400 degrees for about 10-12 minutes)
-5 oz cooked chicken (mine was baked but feel free to cook on stovetop, grill, etc.)
-1/4 cup walnuts, chopped or in pieces
-1/4 cup red onion, chopped
-4 tbsp feta
-2 tbsp dried cherries
-1 tbsp maple syrup
For the dressing:
-2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
-1 tsp maple syrup
-1 tbsp water
1) In a pan on the stove top, heat the red onion for about a minute over medium high heat.
2) Add in the walnut, turn down to medium, and let cook for about another minute.
3) Add in the tablespoon of maple syrup, and allow it to coat the nuts and onion. Cook for about a minute, and remove from heat.
4) In two bowls, split the arugula. Top each with half of the feta, asparagus, dried cherries, chicken, and walnut and onion mixture.
5) In a bowl, mix together the dressing ingredients. Top each salad bowl with half of the dressing.
Let me know what you think in the comment below, and feel free to subscribe for e-mail updates!